As part of its artist in residence program, the Ministry of Culture and Media will offer a furnished apartment in the art studio community Achterhaus which will be available from July 1st to December 31th, 2023 for a period of three months for two fellows. In addition to the rent-free use of the apartment, the artist will receive a monthly stipend of 1,000 Euros and a one-time travel allowance of up to 1,000 Euros for the duration of their stay from the Ministry of Culture and Media.
Visual artists may be nominated by institutions, artist groups or associations based in Hamburg as long as the proposals are linked to the work projects included in the application. The nominating institution or association commits itself to care for the visiting fellow and to arrange and provide exhibition opportunities for the artist in Hamburg if possible.
The studio community Achterhaus was founded in 2013 and resides in the former office building of a wallpaper factory in the district Bahrenfeld. This city district was shaped by industry and living quarters and now attracts more and more artists and creative performers. The Achterhaus Art Studio Association manages the art studio building which houses 25 shared studios, which are currently being used by 31 artists.
- Rent-free apartment, approx. 55m² divided into 1 bed/living room, 1 studio, bathroom and kitchen
- Monthly stipend in the amount of 1.000 Euro for the duration of the stay and a one time travel cost subsidy in the amount of max. 1.000 Euro
- Mentoring by the nominating institution/association to facilitate entry to the Hamburg Art Scene
- The fellow is asked to complete Health and Liability Insurance on his/her own; Residence permits/Visa are also the fellow’s obligation.
Hamburg based institutions, artists groups and associations can nominate professional visual artists, who are living and working abroad (max. 1 nomination per institution). Students are excluded from this application. To ensure further impulses for the visual art scene in Hamburg, nominations of artists are preferred, who are not part of the regular exhibition program of the nominating institution. We don’t accept applications by artists, see below.
Applications must be submitted by the nominating institution in English or German and should contain the following documents:
- Brief letter of recommendation by the nominating institution
- Contact information and CV (overview over education and artistic/professional progress to date) of the artist
- Letter of motivation for the residency program and description of the planned project during the stay (max. 1 A4 page) by the artist
- Portfolio of the artist (max. 4 MB)
- Specification of the preferred duration of residence. The periods are:
A) July 1st - September 30th, 2023 (three months)
B) October 1st – December 31th, 2023 (three months)
There is no guarantee for the desired dates, but an effort will be made to meet the applicants’ wishes.An experience report written by the fellows must be provided to the Ministry of Culture and Achterhaus within 1 month after the end of the stay.
Applications should be sent via e-mail to the Ministry of Culture and Media, contact see below.
Closing date for applications is April 19th, 2023.
The residency fellows will be selected in April by a jury and informed asap. Please find more information regarding previous Achterhaus fellows here: http://achterhaus-ateliers.de/category/residenzkuenstler.