Our duties include:
- hygiene monitoring and advice (regarding potable water, food, wastewater, hospital and general ship hygiene)
- investigation of outbreaks of illnesses on board
- advice on medical equipment
- help with disease prevention campaigns
- assessment of the correct use of narcotics in accordance with German regulations
- vaccination on board
- issuance of diverse certificates and attestations such as:
- Free Pratique (license to enter the port in accordance with
International Health Regulations)
- Ship Sanitation Control (Exemption) Certificate
- Potable Water Certificate
- death certificates
- vaccination certificates
- alcohol and drug testing
- medical advice/treatment for seafarers
For a list of our fees see the download (pdf-document) at the end of this page.
For seafarers, we offer free, anonymous and confidential medical advice at the International Seamen’s Club DUCKDALBEN. Our consultation hours are on Wednesday, 6:00 – 8:00 p.m. No preliminary registration necessary. For free shuttle service from the terminals to Duckdalben, please call +49 (0)800 3825 325236 (no phone charge).
We work closely together with many local, national and international institutions and organizations and keep a close cooperation with the Maritime Medicine Working Group of the Institute of Occupational and Maritime Medicine (ZfAM). At its training center, the working group offers the legally required medical refresher courses for ship officers.
The Port and Airport Health Service doctors and inspectors must be given free access to all areas of the port and ships to enable them to fulfill their official health duties. Any advice must be followed to prevent the spreading of infectious diseases and to secure the health protection of all seafarers and travelers.
Hamburg Port Health Center (HPHC)
Located at Beltgens Garten 2 in Hamburg, this facility is part of the Institute for Hygiene and Environment (Hamburg Public Laboratories for Food Safety, Health Protection and Environmental Assessment). It houses the Hamburg Port Health Authority and the Vaccination Center (with approved yellow fever vaccination point) under one roof.
Hamburg Port Health Center
Beltgens Garten 2, D-20537 Hamburg
Phone: +49 (0)40 428 45 - 2202 or - 2209
Fax: +49 (0)40 427 31 - 0941