The Economy

Can rent payments for municipal properties be deferred?

(17 March 2020, 6:00 p.m.) 

Companies and institutions that are commercial tenants in municipal properties and are burdened by the current Corona General Rulings can have their rent deferred for up to three months without interest for the time being upon application to their respective landlord. This has been agreed by the managing directors or board members of the city's public real estate companies in a meeting with Dr. Andreas Dressel, the Senator of Finance responsible for municipal real estate. 

Further information: Press release of 17 March 2020​​​​​​​

Back to the top of the page

Where can I get advice and information for handicraft businesses?

(Status 25.03.2020, 3:40 p.m.)

The Hamburg Chamber of Trade has set up a Corona-Hotline for businesses. The hotline can be reached on 040 35905-302 Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00p.m. You can reach the hotline by email at

Further information: Corona crisis - Information for companies

Back to the top of the page

What measures and aid offers are available to companies?

(Status 14.03.2020, 1:50 p.m.) 

Both Hamburg and the federal government have a set of instruments at their disposal to help companies that have fallen into difficulties due to eco economic turmoil caused by the Corona crisis. Detailed information can be found on the website of the Authority for Economic Affairs, Transport and Innovation (BWVI).

Companies that get into economic difficulties because of the coronavirus can take advantage of various tax relief offers from the tax authorities to ease the burden. This is pointed out by the Hamburg Tax Authority. Companies should contact their responsible tax office at an early stage.
The following measures may help reduce the tax burden: 

  • Reduction or suspension of current advance payments of income tax or corporation tax on request
  • Deferral of due tax payments
  • Remission of late payment fines
  • Waiver of enforcement measures

Further information: BWVI information for companies, press release of 11 March 2020 

Back to the top of the page


Who can the self-employed and micro-enterprises turn to for advice? 

(Status 23.03.2020, 11:00 a.m.)

Firmenhilfe is the hotline sponsored by the Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg for the support of self-employed individuals (freelancers, solo self-employed individuals, and small businesses with up to five employees) in Hamburg. Especially in emergency situations, Firmenhilfe provides uncomplicated and free advice via a telephone service (040-43216949) as well as web-based services. 

Please take the following information into consideration before you call: 

All current information on the corona crisis can be found here:

Source: Authority for Economics, Transport and Innovation

Back to the top of the page

Where can companies in the creative industries get advice? 

(Status 17.03.2020, 2:00 p.m.) 

The Creative Society offers a hotline service for creatives. You can reach them on +49 40 879 7986-28 (Tuesdays to Thursdays 2 p.m. to 5 p.m., Fridays 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.).

Source: Authority for Economic Affairs, Transport and Innovation

Back to the top of the page


What regulations apply with regard to short-time work compensation (Kurzarbeitergeld)?

(Status 12.03.2020, 1:15 p.m.) 

The Federal Cabinet has passed a bill to strengthen the short-time working compensation, among other things. According to the bill, short-time work can also be applied for if 1/10 instead of 1/3 of the workforce is affected by significant loss of work. The build-up of negative working time balances prior to payment of the short-time work compensation is to be waived in whole or in part. Social insurance contributions for the lost working hours should be fully or partially covered by the state, and the regulations on short-time work should be extended to include temporary workers. The new regulations are to come into force in the first half of April. They are valid until 31 December 2021. The Federal Employment Agency is responsible for short-time work. The Hamburg Authority for Employment, Social Affairs and Integration is represented in the competent administrative committee.

Further information: Press release of 12 March 2020 and website of BWVI

Back to the top of the page


What financial support is available for companies? 

(Status 30.03.2020, 3:30 p.m.)

Hamburgische Investitions- und Förderbank / Hamburger Corona Soforthilfe (HCS)

Hamburg's relief package (Schutzschirm) for Corona-affected companies, institutions, solo self-employed individuals and artists is ready to go: Applications can be submitted completely digitally on the homepage of the Hamburg Investment and Promotion Bank (IFB). The hotline of the IFB Hamburg for Corona-emergency assistance can be reached at 040 42828-1500. 
Applications can be made until the end of May.

Various loan-based support programs for corporate financing are otherwise offered through IFB Hamburg. Some subsidies can also be used to bridge liquidity bottlenecks caused by loss of sales of companies due to the coronavirus. For small and medium-sized enterprises, for example, the "Hamburg-Kredit Liquidität" (HKL) is available.

IFB Hamburg also offers state securities to secure both the financing of investments and the financial bridging of liquidity bottlenecks in cooperation with the company's house bank.
Detailed information on support loans and state securities can be found at The IFB Beratungscenter (Counseling Center) offers fast and free information and can be reached at or at tel. 040 24846-533.

Bürgschaftsgemeinschaft Hamburg

The Bürgschaftsgemeinschaft Hamburg (Securities Association Hamburg) offers securities in cooperation with the FHH. Information and contact persons at: The hotline of the Bürgschaftsgemeinschaft is: 040/611 700 100.

Kreditanstalt für Wiederaufbau (KfW)

In addition, established KfW (Credit Institute for Reconstruction) support instruments such as the "ERP-Gründerkredit" (credit for founders) or the "KfW-Unternehmerkredit" (company credit) for working capital financing are available to commercial enterprises and the liberal professions to cover short-term liquidity requirements. Information on these can be found at The KfW hotline for commercial loans is 0800 539 9001.

Further information: BWVI website

Back to the top of the page

Where can I find information for taxi companies? 

(Status 21.03.2021, 11 p.m.) 

The Transport Trade Supervisory Authority (Verkehrsgewerbeaufsicht) provides information for taxi companies.

Source: Authority for Economy, Transport and Innovation

Back to the top of the page


Where can I get further information?

Where can I find information for agriculture and horticulture?

(26.03.2020, 12.50 p.m.)

The Landwirtschaftliche Rentenbank ("Agricultural Pension Bank") provides information on specific measures for companies in the agricultural and horticultural sectors. Companies from the agricultural and horticultural sector can also apply for a subsidy within the framework of the Hamburg Corona Emergency Aid (HCS) via IFB Hamburg.

Further information can be found on the page Measures and Funding Opportunities for Hamburg Agricultural Businesses.

Back to the top of the page

Back to the top of the page

Back to the top of the page

Themenübersicht auf